Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ice

If it's a new week, it means we've had another round of wintry weather. Yesterday's mix included 3-4" snow followed by sleet and a freezing rain/rain combo. It was just lovely. Not! However, the ice did make for some interesting photos.









And once again, John was out of town for the storm. This time to San Jose where it was tropical 60 degrees. I know, 60 isn't normally considered tropical, but compared to our temps this winter, it is.

Thankfully, New York seemed to get more rain than we did so John's red eye flight was able to land safely this morning. He's currently locked in his home office on a conference call. Considering that he says only got about an hour's sleep during the flight, I'm surprised he's still awake.

While shoveling the ice bank deposited by the snow plow at the front of the driveway, I kept hearing crackling and every now then what sounded like something falling. Considering the electrical lines running overhead, I must admit to being a bit wary.

You see, a scene from the movie The Ice Storm which is set in nearby New Canaan, kept playing in my mind. It involves an ice storm, someone setting on an icy guard rail and a live electrical line falling on the pavement upon which the person's feet are resting. The outcome is...hmmm...not optimal for the person sitting on guard rail. Thankfully, what I heard falling from overhead was the ice falling off electrical lines.

The last photo is of the back of our house. On either side there are two big icicles that I've tried repeatedly to get good pictures of. The icicle to on the right side must be 8 ft or more and is thick. We're waiting to see if it will eventually reach the deck. It's not far from the rail now. Stay tuned for updates on its progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment