Sunday, December 20, 2009

New York Botanical Gardens Holiday Train Show

We went to the Holiday Train Show at the New York Botanical Gardens yesterday, pre-snow, of course. It was our first time going and I must admit that we were a bit concerned as to how long the girls were going to be interested...if at all. As it was, Ellie especially was enthralled by the trains.

The title of the exhibit, Holiday Train Show, had John and I envisioning one humongous, continuous train track with multiple trains. Instead, there were various tracks artfully circling the various buildings as well as traversing bridges.

The New York landmark buildings were the real stars of the show. Made from natural materials - bark, nuts, fruits, etc. - they are architectural beauties. My favorites were Lyndhurst Castle, Rockefeller Center and Yankee Stadium, the inside of which looks as if it's being viewed from the air and is filled to capacity.

The other star of the show was the landscaping. I found the choice and arrangement of plants as fascinating as the buildings. Enjoy the pictorial tour.



Saint Patricks Cathedral


Grace and Ellie love the trains. Grace is in blue.


Penn Station complete with trains beneath.

The angels at Rockefeller Center.

Lyndhurst Hall.

Grandma Joanna with Grace and double great aunt Margaret with Ellie.





Don't remember which building this is, but I love the arches in front.


Yankee Stadium.

Enid A Haupt Conservatory of the New York Botanical Gardens which houses the train show.


No comments:

Post a Comment