Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Potty Training - The Saga Continues

So...there I was, standing at the kitchen island, ladling cake mix into mini cupcake papers, listening to whatever song the Backyardigans were singing when in the living room Ellie says, "Eeeeewwwww. Poop."

"Oh shit." Yep, that was my first thought.

I walked into the living room to find that Ellie had indeed pooped...on the floor. Hmmm. Just how does one poop on the floor when one is wearing panties and shorts and they are in place? She's talented, my innocent looking little El.

Closer inspection proved that at some point in the previous 10 minutes, Ellie had managed to take her panties off while putting her shorts back on without my noticing. And just where were the panties anyway?

Being careful not to step in the pile-o-poop, I grabbed Ellie and carried her into the bathroom, praying all the way that we weren't leaving a trail on the floor.

First thing I did was wash her hands because she'd stuck her finger in the pile...to test for texture? temperature? solidity? Who knows? Hands washed and dried, Ellie then reached down and stuck her finger between her big toe and the toe next to it on her left foot while saying, "Poop. Poop."

Yep, she'd not only stuck her finger in it, she'd stepped in it. So.....the hands got washed again as did her feet and legs and bottom. Lovely. Simply lovely.

Just as I was finishing cleaning Ellie, Grace enters the bathroom saying, "Gucky. Gucky." That's Grace-ese for yucky. We made room for Grace so she could join the party, but left as soon as I got new panties and shorts on Ellie.

After cleaning the living room floor of Ellie droppings, I returned to the bathroom to see how Grace was doing. She was still sitting on the potty and had that look on her face. That I'm-pooping-in-the-potty-and-don't-like-it look. Being naturally inquisitive, I asked Grace if she was actually pooping in the potty. An upset sounding little "yes" was the answer.

Her business finished, Grace assumed the position so I could clean her too. Cleaning poop off little bottoms is definitely one of my favorite mom jobs. NOT!!! It ranks right up there with cleaning the poop out of the potty. Gucky! Gucky!

Having gotten Grace all straightened out, my next job was to attend to the...well, the poop in the potty. Have any of you ever been in the vicinity of or seen a fresh cow patty? If you have, suffice it to say that that's what Grace's potty deposit reminded me of. About the same consistency and definitely as smelly. Lovely. Simply lovely.

Once my work in the bathroom was finished, I was walking into the kitchen to make my own deposit...in the trash can when Grace asks, "What doing Mommy?"

The words "Cleaning up your's and Ellie's shit" just sprang from my mouth before my brain even thought about kicking into gear. Chalk it up to being frustrated that they hadn't napped followed by the double poop episode. Grace seemed to have liked my answer though because she skipped off to the living room saying, "Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.....shit........"

About this time, the phone rang. It was John calling to see how my day was going. Good thing he wasn't within arms reach as he laughed at my recounting of the previous 20 minutes. He particularly liked Grace's recitation. All I could say is that it's a good thing I hadn't added the f-word. I mean, if she can say gucky, she can say that one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment