Some of you are probably scratching your head, tsk-tsking or snickering over the imagined conglomerate of art/craft/just plain crap that such loose requirements allow. And you would be right. But that's part of the charm of Artomatic. One just never knows what one will see upon entering or even upon turning a corner.
For the sake of full disclosure, I feel compelled to admit that I am an art snob. My tastes tend toward contemporary, sculptural, mixed media, fiber. While I can admire the techinical skill of a traditional or classical painter, most classical paintings leave me cold.
I also love well thought out displays. As I strolled around Artomatic, what tended to catch my attention was a good display. For me, that tends to be a display that showcases the art and does not distract or detract from the art.
Rania Hassan's knitting hands held me spellbound. The sheer simplicity of the concept of hands knitting was genius.
The way she chose to set the painted hands off from the wall to add depth and allow for shadows of the knitting was wonderful.
Her use of Habu threads/yarns was exquisite...and prompted some ideas for how my own collection of Habu yarns could be used.
Megan Van Wagoner's homage to cabbage and potatoes done in glass was another that stopped me in mid-step.All too soon, my jaunt to Artomatic to view art and visit with Deb ended. Hopefully a trip to DC over July 4th weekend will become a yearly tradition and I'll be able to see next years's Artomatic. Hmmm...wonder what Deb will do next time?









No comments:
Post a Comment